The Maples New Capitol Hill Condos, Townhomes Deliver 2013 **Update: The Maples developers have pushed delivery date projections back to winter of 2014
The Maples New Capitol Hill Condos, Townhomes Deliver 2013
It's been a while since we updated you on The Maples. Construction progress seemed slow the past year. ANC 6B Commissioner Norm Metzger followed up with the developer in March 2012 and posted their comments on his blog (now defunct):
During the demolition we did find some pipes in the walls that we were unaware of with wrap that we suspected contained asbestos. We brought in an environmental engineer to survey our findings and submitted that report to the city. Our engineer is in the process of getting the remediation plan done and approved and we hope to complete the interior demolition shortly.
We did submit for our garage permit last year. Issuance of the permit was delayed because of some of confusion by zoning review, despite the fact that we received a reliance letter from the zoning administrator to avoid such confusion. We have subsequently resolved the issue and expect the permit to be issued as soon as our contractor submits their traffic plan to the city. We anticipate starting construction late spring with delivery of the townhouses and carriage house in early 2013.
Due to years of neglect, the landmark structure requires extensive restoration work, including masonry repair and repointing, replacement of windows and doors, roof replacement, upgrades to systems, and the reconstruction of the building’s missing front porch utilizing historic photos.
Progress is now being made and buyers waiting for this project will be pleased to know that the interior demolition is complete and renovation can now begin.
The Maples will be a conversion by developer Altus Realty Partners of the existing building and construction of four new buildings to create approximately 20 homes:
- Flats, Duplexes & Townhomes
- Historic renovations featuring high-end finishes
- Newly constructed homes
- Direct entry elevator access from underground parking into select homes
- Three townhouses will be built along South Carolina Avenue
- A multi-unit residential building will be constructed between the western-most new townhouses and the Maples historic structure
- Underground parking garage, excavated under the front lawn off South Carolina Avenue, will be accessed from an existing public alley.
- Main house to contain approx. twenty 800 SF to 1500 SF condominium units, each with its own entrance. Many will be 2-BRs, and a portion of those will be ADA compliant. "Green” technologies will be part of the interior design.
- Three townhouses, two on the left (the “basketball court”) and one on the right when facing the building from the South Carolina Avenue side (the front of the structure).
- A parallel row of maple trees forming an allée from SC Avenue to the front of the building
- Due to its location in an historic district and landmark designation, most of the building is to be retained.
- A colonnade now connecting the main house to the west building will be demolished to enable a walk-through between D and SC.
- The sharp rise on the SC side will be re-graded, to allow for a low-rise approach to the building. The rise was thought to have been originally created with landfill.
- A 20-car underground garage is planned, entering and exiting from the existing public alley on D Street
The Maples Capitol Hill Pricing
From the 400s to 1.6M
The Maples Capitol Hill Construction and Completion
Architects: Cunningham & Quill
Sales at The Maples are anticipated to start in fall 2014, with deliveries expected winter 2014-2015. Contact us to receive regular updates.